East Orange, NJ, February 16, 2018: City of East Orange officials are encouraging residents to exercise caution and adhere to all no overnight and snow emergency parking rules in anticipation of the 4-7 inches of snow predicted to fall, starting Saturday, February 17 at 7pm until Sunday, February 18 at 2am.
**Reverse 9-1-1 calls from the City of East Orange will be going out on Friday and Saturday. Please check your messages.**
Residents should not park on designated snow emergency routes as soon as the road is covered with snow. Officials advise removing cars from the streets earlier in the evening to avoid ticketing and towing.
**Free parking is available in the lot at 20/30 Evergreen Place.**
The following roads are snow emergency routes:
- Vernon Terrace between William Avenue and Park Avenue
- Stockton Place between William Avenue and Park Avenue
- Greenwood Avenue between Main Street and Park Avenue
- North 19th Street between Eaton Place and Springdale Avenue
- North 18th Street between Eaton Place and 4th Avenue
- North 16th Street between Eaton Place and 4th Avenue
- North 15th Street between Eaton Place and 4th Avenue
- North 14th Street between Eaton Place and 4th Avenue
- Eaton Place between North 14th and North 19th Street
- Steuben Street between Central Avenue and Main Street
- South 18th Street between Newark line and Central Avenue
- Norwood Street between South Orange and Tremont Avenue
- North Harrison Street between Main Street and William Street
- Washington Place between Main Street and Brick Church Plaza
- Prospect Place between Brick Church Plaza and Main Street
- Ashland Avenue between Main Street and William Avenue
- North Walnut between Main Street and Park Avenue
- Washington Street between William and Orange line
- Prospect Street between Main Street and Bloomfield line
- North and South Clinton Street between South Orange Avenue and Springdale Avenue
- North and South Arlington Street between Elmwood Avenue and Bloomfield line
- North and South Munn Avenue between Newark line and Park Avenue
- North Park Street between Washington Street and Cul-de-Sac to the North
- Dodd Street between Orange line and Bloomfield Line
- Springdale Avenue between North Park Street and Newark line
- Hamilton Street between Prospect Street and Southbound Service Road
Parking and Snow Removal
Motorists should adhere to all NO PARKING signs on all county and city roads. Overnight parking rules will be strictly enforced.
NOTE: The only way to avoid additional snow removal is to wait until DPW work crews have completed their final clean-up of your road.
Most streets will require three or four passes
Some streets may require as few as two passes, or, as many as five passes
Essex County Public Works has designated workers to ensure that all county roadways are accessible for vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
The following East Orange streets are Essex County Roads:
- South Orange Ave
- Central Avenue
- Park Avenue
- North/South Grove St
- Sanford Street
The City of East Orange does not provide snow removal services to private property – residential or commercial.
For downed wires or power outages, call PSE&G at 1-800-436-PSEG. To report snow emergencies, call the Department of Public Works at 973-266-5330.
Tenants without heat or hot water may call the Department of Property Maintenance at 973-266-5320 for assistance.
Park cars in private driveways or secure them on off-street lots.
Share driveway space or garage with neighbors
If you must venture out, car pool or use mass transit
Equip vehicles with snow tires or chains
Be aware of parking restrictions when road is snow covered
Shovel snow onto your own property
Shovel snow away from fire hydrants near your property
DO NOT shovel snow into the street
DO NOT park on the street, if possible
DO NOT shovel snow on top of fire hydrants
DO NOT shovel snow onto storm sewers
Important telephone numbers
- East Orange Public Works Department
- East Orange Police Department
- East Orange Fire Department
- East Orange Office of Emergency Management
- Emergency PSE&G
- East Orange Property Maintenance/No Heat Hotline
- New Jersey Transit
- Sewer & Water Emergency