East Orange, NJ, February 8, 2017: The City of East Orange is asking for the cooperation of the entire community to help ensure safe passages on our roadways as we prepare for the snow that is forecasted to arrive early Thursday morning. Whiteout conditions are likely and drivers should exercise extreme caution.
The National Weather Service Bureau is predicting 8-12 inches of snow with temperatures dropping into the low 20s. A winter storm warning is in effect from midnight tonight until 6pm Thursday.
“We are proactively preparing for the worst so we can best handle whatever weather comes our way,” said Mayor Lester E. Taylor III. “I urge all residents to exercise extreme caution and to follow all parking rules so we can keep our roads safe and clear for emergency personnel and those who have to travel throughout our city.”
Motorists should adhere to all NO PARKING signs on all county and city roads.
In addition, there will be EMERGENCY NO PARKING on Munn Avenue between Rhode Island Avenue and Oraton Parkway, Arlington Avenue between Elmwood and Oraton Parkway, and Prospect Street between William and Dodd Street. South and North Munn, South and North Arlington, and Prospect Street to ensure timely clean-up.
As the storm progresses, residents are asked NOT to shovel snow into the street. Residents and business owners are encouraged to remove snow from fire hydrants located in front of their residences or businesses. Plowing will begin when snow depths reach two inches and freezing temperatures indicate no melting
For more information/list of all shelters & warming centers please call 211 or visit www.nj211.org
Garbage collection will remain on a regular schedule. All city programs scheduled for this weekend have been either cancelled/postponed.
NOTE: The only way to avoid additional snow removal is to wait until DPW work crews have completed their final clean-up of your road.
• Most streets will require three or four passes
• Some streets may require as few as two passes, or, as many as five passes
Essex County Public Works has designated workers to ensure that all county roadways are accessible for vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
The following East Orange streets are Essex County Roads:
- South Orange Ave
- Central Avenue
- Park Avenue
- North/South Grove St
- Sanford Street
The City of East Orange does not provide snow removal services to private property – residential or commercial.
For downed wires or power outages, call PSE&G at 1-800-436-PSEG. To report snow emergencies, call the Department of Public Works at 973-266-5330.
Tenants without heat or hot water may call the Department of Property Maintenance at 973-266-5320 for assistance.
• Park cars in private driveways or secure them on off-street lots.
• Share driveway space or garage with neighbors
• If you must venture out, car pool or use mass transit
• Equip vehicles with snow tires or chains
• Be aware of parking restrictions when road is snow covered
• Shovel around the perimeter of your property within 24 to 48 hours of the last snowfall
• Shovel snow onto your own property
• Shovel snow away from fire hydrants near your property
• DO NOT shovel snow into the street
• DO NOT park on the street, if possible
• DO NOT shovel snow on top of fire hydrants
• DO NOT shovel snow onto storm sewers
Important telephone numbers
- East Orange Public Works Department
- East Orange Police Department
- East Orange Fire Department
- East Orange Office of Emergency Management
- Emergency PSE&G
- East Orange Property Maintenance/No Heat Hotline
- New Jersey Transit
- Sewer & Water Emergency