East Orange, NJ, December 14, 2020: The City of East Orange has issued a winter weather and parking advisory for Wednesday, December 16, 2020.
According to the latest National Weather Service forecast, snow is expected to start falling in the East Orange area around 11am on Wednesday morning and will accumulate approximately ½-1 inch per hour eventually reaching a total of 9-15 inches into early Thursday morning. The heaviest snowfall is predicted between 11pm on Wednesday and 4am on Thursday.
City officials are encouraging residents to exercise extreme caution when traveling and to adhere to all snow parking regulations.
**Reverse 9-1-1 calls from both the City of East Orange and the East Orange Board of Education will provide school updates and emergency alerts. Please check your messages.**
Parking and Snow Removal
All snow emergency parking rules are in effect. Motorists should adhere to all NO PARKING signs on county and city roads. Parking will be made available at 20/30 Evergreen Place and the old Elmwood School parking lot on South Clinton between Rhode Island and Elmwood Avenues.
**Overnight parking rules will be strictly enforced.**
As the storm progresses, residents are asked NOT to shovel snow into the street. Residents and business owners are encouraged to remove snow from fire hydrants located in front of their residences or businesses. Plowing will begin when snow depths reach two inches and freezing temperatures indicate no melting.
NOTE: The only way to avoid additional snow removal is to wait until DPW work crews have completed their final clean-up of your road.
- Most streets will require three or four passes
- Some streets may require as few as two passes, or, as many as five passes
Essex County Public Works has designated workers to ensure that all county roadways are accessible for vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
The following East Orange streets are Essex County Roads:
- South Orange Ave
- Central Avenue
- Park Avenue
- North/South Grove St
- Sanford Street
The City of East Orange does not provide snow removal services to private property – residential or commercial.
- Drive slowly.
- Use major streets or highways for travel whenever possible.
- Try to keep your vehicle’s gas tank as full as possible.
- Park cars in private driveways or secure them on off-street lots.
- Share driveway space or garage with neighbors
- If you must venture out, car pool or use mass transit
- Equip vehicles with snow tires or chains
- Be aware of parking restrictions when road is snow covered
- Shovel snow onto your own property
- Shovel snow away from fire hydrants near your property
- DO NOT shovel snow into the street
- DO NOT park on the street, if possible
- DO NOT shovel snow on top of fire hydrants
- DO NOT shovel snow onto storm sewers
Important Telephone Numbers
- East Orange Public Works Department
- East Orange Police Department
- East Orange Fire Department
- East Orange Office of Emergency Management
- Emergency PSE&G
- East Orange Property Maintenance/No Heat Hotline
- New Jersey Transit
- Sewer & Water Emergency