January 31, 2021, East Orange, NJ: Please be advised that our area is expecting a winter storm starting tonight, January 31, 2021, at 7pm until 6am on Tuesday, February 2, 2021 with snow accumulations of 8-12 inches.
According to the latest National Weather Service forecast, snow is expected to start this evening, be very heavy at times on Monday afternoon and turn into snow showers during the day on Tuesday.
All snow emergency parking rules will be in effect starting at 7pm on Sunday night. Residents are encouraged to exercise extreme caution when traveling and to adhere to all snow parking regulations. Overnight parking rules will be strictly enforced. Garbage collection has also been suspended for Monday, February 1, 2021.
The City of East Orange has designated the following lots for residents to park their vehicles during the storm:
- 65 Halsted Street (Halsted Street and Freeway Drive)
- Old Elmwood School Parking Lot (South Clinton Street between Elmwood and Rhode Island Avenues)
- Halsted Street and Central Avenue (AutoZone)
- 4th Avenue and 18th Street
- Franklin Street and Glenwood Avenue
All vehicles must be removed by 12pm on Wednesday, February 3, 2021.
**Reverse 9-1-1 calls from both the City of East Orange and the East Orange Board of Education will provide school updates and emergency alerts. Please check your messages.**
As the storm progresses, residents are asked NOT to shovel snow into the street. Residents and business owners are encouraged to remove snow from fire hydrants located in front of their residences or businesses. Plowing will begin when snow depths reach two inches and freezing temperatures indicate no melting.
NOTE: The only way to avoid additional snow removal is to wait until DPW work crews have completed their final clean-up of your road.
- Most streets will require three or four passes
- Some streets may require as few as two passes, or, as many as five passes
Essex County Public Works has designated workers to ensure that all county roadways are accessible for vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
The following East Orange streets are Essex County Roads:
- South Orange Ave
- Central Avenue
- Park Avenue
- North/South Grove St
- Sanford Street
The City of East Orange does not provide snow removal services to private property – residential or commercial.
- Drive slowly
- Use major streets or highways for travel whenever possible.
- Try to keep your vehicle’s gas tank as full as possible.
- Park cars in private driveways or secure them on off-street lots.
- Share driveway space or garage with neighbors
- If you must venture out, car pool or use mass transit
- Equip vehicles with snow tires or chains
- Be aware of parking restrictions when road is snow covered
- Shovel snow onto your own property
- Shovel snow away from fire hydrants near your property
- DO NOT shovel snow into the street
- DO NOT park on the street, if possible
- DO NOT shovel snow on top of fire hydrants
- DO NOT shovel snow onto storm sewers
A Code Blue Weather Emergency notice is issued when the temperature drops below 32 degrees. No one who is homeless or seeking shelter during a Code Blue will be denied. During Code Blue Weather emergencies, outreach workers will connect homeless residents with resources available for immediate shelter. If you see someone who needs shelter, please call 973.266.5000.
Important Telephone Numbers
- East Orange Public Works Department
- East Orange Police Department
- East Orange Fire Department
- East Orange Office of Emergency Management
- Emergency PSE&G
- East Orange Property Maintenance/No Heat Hotline
- New Jersey Transit
- Sewer & Water Emergency