East Orange, NJ, April 2017: The City of East Orange is proud to announce that the Mayor’s Office of Employment and Training will host its annual Summer Work Experience Program Kickoff in conjunction with an HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities Fair) to connect local students with institutions of higher education across the country.
On Saturday, April 8, 2017, beginning at 10AM, students can meet with representatives from HBCUs and local colleges and universities, chapters of the Divine 9 Black Fraternities and Sororities, and other organization representatives at the Cicely L. Tyson School of Fine and Performing Art, 35 Winans St., East Orange, NJ.
Applications for the Annual Summer Work Experience Program will also be distributed at that time.
Participating HBCUS include Bennett College for Women, Cheyney University, Clark Atlanta University, Florida A&M University, Hampton University, Howard University, Lincoln University, Morgan State University, Morris Brown College, North Carolina A&T State University, Shaw University and Virginia State University.
”One of the greatest limitations for many of our children is the lack of exposure to new opportunities and experiences,” said Mayor Lester E. Taylor III, a graduate of Howard School of Law, Class of 2000. “Working with the East Orange School District and our higher education partners, we are connecting our talented students to institutions that were founded with the fundamental belief that all children can learn and achieve success. These predominantly black institutions of higher learning provide a welcoming atmosphere for students where black excellence is not the standard, it’s the norm.”
To gear up for the fair, the city is sponsoring a College Spirit Day on Fri, April 7 and employees are encouraged to wear a T-shirt of their alma mater or favorite school. The city’s Facebook page @EOCityHall has also launched a social media campaign featuring employees who have attended HBCUs. Among them include:
- Mayor Lester E. Taylor, III, Howard University School of Law
- Council Chair Ted Green, Cheyney and Lincoln Universities
- Kellie Drakeford-LeDet, Chief of Staff, Norfolk State University
- Connie Jackson, Office of Public Information, Xavier University of Louisiana
- Vicki Lewis, Recreation & Cultural Affairs, Hampton (Institute) University
- Chesney Blue, East Orange WIC Program, Howard University
- Shatera Smith, Department of Human Resources, Hampton University
- Phyllis Burrell, Division of Procurement, Shaw University
- Mal’ee L. Wing, Esq., Corporation Counsel Office, University of Maryland Eastern Shore
- Anja Wilson, Health and Human Services, Delaware State University
- Debra Chandler, Division of Fire, Atlanta University Graduate School (now Clark Atlanta University)
- George Britt, Department of Property Maintenance, Morehouse College
- Noah Lynch, Department of Property Maintenance, Morgan State University