East Orange, NJ, December 8, 2017: The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Weather Advisory between 4 a.m. on December 9, 2017 and 1 a.m. on Sunday, December 10, 2017. Snow accumulations are expected to be between 2 to 4 inches with the temperature expected to stay in the low to mid 30's.
Residents should be prepared for hazardous driving conditions and use caution while driving as snow covered roads and limited visibility may make traveling difficult. Scattered power outages are always possible.
Parking and Snow Removal
Starting at 6am Saturday, all snow emergency parking rules are in effect. Motorists should adhere to all NO PARKING signs on all county and city roads.
In addition, there will be EMERGENCY NO PARKING on Munn Avenue between Park Avenue and the City line with Newark, Arlington Avenue between Elmwood and Oraton Parkway, and Prospect Street between William and Dodd Street. South and North Munn, South and North Arlington, and Prospect Street to ensure timely clean-up.
Pre-salt and plowing efforts will begin early Saturday morning.
As the storm progresses, residents are asked NOT to shovel snow into the street. Residents and business owners are encouraged to remove snow from fire hydrants located in front of their residences or businesses. Plowing will begin when snow depths reach two inches and freezing temperatures indicate no melting.
NOTE: The only way to avoid additional snow removal is to wait until DPW work crews have completed their final clean-up of your road.
Essex County Public Works has designated workers to ensure that all county roadways are accessible for vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
The following East Orange streets are Essex County Roads:
- South Orange Ave
- Central Avenue
- Park Avenue
- North/South Grove St
- Sanford Street
The City of East Orange does not provide snow removal services to private property (residential or commercial).
For downed wires or power outages, call PSE&G at 1-800-436-PSEG. To report snow emergencies, call the Department of Public Works at 973-266-5330.
Tenants without heat or hot water may call the Department of Property Maintenance at 973-266-5320 for assistance.
- Park cars in private driveways or secure them on off-street lots.
- Share driveway space or garage with neighbors
- If you must venture out, car pool or use mass transit
- Equip vehicles with snow tires or chains
- Be aware of parking restrictions when road is snow covered
- Shovel around the perimeter of your property within 24 to 48 hours of the last snowfall
- Shovel snow onto your own property
- Shovel snow away from fire hydrants near your property
- DO NOT shovel snow into the street
- DO NOT park on the street, if possible
- DO NOT shovel snow on top of fire hydrants
- DO NOT shovel snow onto storm sewers
Important Telephone Numbers
- East Orange Public Works Department
- East Orange Police Department
- East Orange Fire Department
- East Orange Office of Emergency Management
- Emergency PSE&G
- East Orange Property Maintenance/No Heat Hotline
- New Jersey Transit
- Sewer & Water Emergency