Mission and Purpose
The mission of the City of East Orange Division of Senior Services is to serve as advocates on behalf of East Orange residents 60 years of age and older and disabled adults by providing love, quality resources, events, activities, information, and outreach that fulfill the needs of our clientele.
We accomplish our mission by:
- Providing assistance to senior citizens and disabled adults in completing applications for benefits and entitlements.
- Providing information regarding benefits, entitlements and opportunities available for senior citizens and disabled adults.
- Providing transportation for senior citizens and disabled adults to grocery stores, medical appointments, banks, library, entitlement offices, and to recreational, cultural and educational events.
- Sponsoring periodic recreational and cultural trips and events.
- Disseminating information through a bi-annual newsletter, periodic news releases and flyers.
- Sponsoring a monthly low-cost Food Co-op to enable senior citizens and disabled persons to obtain fresh and nutritious food products.
- Providing senior citizens and disabled adults with low cost identification cards, free File of Life Cards and pre-screening for Food Stamps, energy assistance, prescription and health benefits.
- Sponsoring an annual Senior Citizen Conference with representatives from various entitlement offices and services to afford East Orange Senior Citizens an opportunity to interact with service providers and receive information that is pertinent to their quality of life.
- Provide senior citizens and disabled adults who are in need of help maintaining clean and healthy living quarters with persons to assist with light house keeping, laundry, small meal preparation and errands.
- Providing exercise class, arts and crafts class, line dancing, bowling and other recreational activities weekly.
Events - February / March 2015
Pre-Valentine’s Day Healthy Heart Program &
Date & Time: 2-13-15 from
12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Location: East Orange
Senior Center 90 Halsted Street, EO, NJ
The City of East
Orange Senior Volunteer Corp. presents a “Music
featuring The Concert Choirs of Bethune Cookman College & Lincoln University
& the Gospel Choirs of Local Community Churches in The City of East Orange
Hosted by Famed Media Personality: Toya Beasley ( She Speaks , Radio 103.9 NY)
Date & Time: 03-14-15 from
Location: Cicely Tyson
School of Performing & Fine Arts 35 Winans
Street, EO, NJ
Donation: $5.00 for Senior
Citizens, $5.00 for Students w/ ID, $20.00 for
The City of East
Orange Senior Volunteer Corp.’s Women’s History
Date & Time: 03/28/15 from
3:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Location: The STEM Academy
129 Renshaw Avenue, EO, NJ