Mission and Purpose
The Building Division is responsible for the administration and supervision of the Building Code and approval of all applications for construction, alterations and renovations of buildings within the city; and for the enforcement of Chapter 268, Zoning, of the Code of the City of East Orange and compliance therewith. The building Division is designated as a State Uniform Construction Code Enforcement Agency. The Building Division is supervised by a Division Manager who shall be a licensed Construction Official and a City employee in the classified civil service.
The means available to the Building Division in the Enforcement of the New Jersey Construction Code include the following:
- A requirement to apply for and to obtain a written Permit to erect, construct or alter any building or structure or parts thereof designed for human occupancy.
- A requirement to apply for and to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) after the completion of any new construction to indicate that the said building or structure has been constructed in accordance with the New Jersey Uniform Construction Code and is approved for occupancy.
- A requirement to apply for and to obtain Certificate of Continued Occupancy (CCO) after major renovations to any building or structure to indicate that there are no imminent hazards and that the said building or structure is approved for continued occupancy.
- The Construction Official is authorized and empowered to condemn and building or structure when appropriate and to order and require the occupants of such building or structure or part thereof to vacate the same forthwith.
- Violations of the New Jersey Uniform Construction Code are punishable by fines or imprisonment or both.